While you might not think about it often (or at all), one of the most important aspects of your home is its insulation. The insulation inside your walls traps heat and cool air inside your house, which decreases your utility bills. One of the most overlooked places to insulate is attics. A lot of people end up thinking, “I’m never going to be up there, so why should I pay extra money for attic insulation in Sacramento, CA?” That’s a fair question; nobody likes paying for something they don’t think they actually need.
However, folks are mistaken if they don’t think they need attic insulation. While you’ll end up paying a little extra up front, you can also end up saving a whole lot of money and potential problems over the course of your home’s lifespan.
Insulation is like a lot of products; it can come in several different forms:
- Batts: Fiberglass attic insulation in Sacramento, CA can be sold in large pieces inside packages called batts. Batts are easy to install for a layman. On the flipside, they don’t provide complete protection, because they come in prefabricated packages and they can’t fit in all of the nooks and crannies that are common in attics.
- Blown: Blown insulation is small pieces of fiberglass that look a little like cotton candy. It’s fairly inexpensive to purchase, but it must be installed by a professional. It provides pretty solid insulation protection because it can fit in spaces that batts can’t.
- Sprayed: Again, sprayed insulation must be installed by a professional. This type of insulation can be made of fiberglass or cellulose. While cellulose is more expensive, it’s a higher-quality product. Sprayed insulation is the best choice for your home if your HVAC system is located up in the attic. Most newer homes have sprayed insulation because it provides a better return on investment in the long run.
The benefits of attic insulation are numerous. Here’s a look at three of the most crucial advantages you’ll gain from quality attic insulation:
- Keep air/heat in: Whether your attic is unfinished, or used for a spare bedroom or playroom, it needs to be insulated. Cold and hot air from your HVAC system can escape through the roof just as easily as it can from walls downstairs. Don’t spend money heating and cooling the outdoors—install attic insulation in Sacramento, CA to lower your utility bills.
- Decrease chance of mildew buildup: Steam from downstairs showers or kitchens can sometimes rise up into the attic. If your attic is un-insulated, that water vapor can cool on the attic walls and eventually cause mildew or mold to grow.
- Prevent damage to your stored items: A lot of people tend to use their attic as an extra storage space for things they have no immediate use for. The problem with keeping your goods in an un-insulated room is that they can become damaged over time. Temperature fluctuations, which will happen often if your attic isn’t insulated, can be bad for a lot of items.
Don’t go one more day without having insulation up in your attic! Contact 5 Star Performance Insulation, Inc. today to find out more about all of our insulation services.