As a homeowner, you may just assume that your house has the proper level of insulation that’ll keep you comfortable and help save you some money, but making those assumptions can be a costly mistake. Instead of assuming, we recommend performing an insulation inspection in your home. This post will teach you how to inspect insulation in Sacramento, CA.
Benefits of an inspection
We wouldn’t recommend performing an inspection if it wasn’t worth it. Here are a couple great reasons to do one:
- Increase comfort: Insulation’s number one job is to keep your home warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. Performing an inspection will help ensure you have insulation in all the right places to make your home as comfortable as can be.
- Save money: A lack of insulation throughout your home often results in higher heating and cooling bills throughout the year. Perform an inspection to guarantee that you’re not throwing money out the window.
Places to check
If you’re going to perform DIY insulation inspections in Sacramento, CA, it’d be helpful to know where to look! Examining the following areas of your home ensures a successful inspection:
- Attic: An improperly insulated home can lose 20 percent of its energy through the attic. So, even though you don’t spend a ton of time up there, you need to ensure that your attic is well insulated. Experts say that attic walls, floors and ceilings should have at least 12 inches of insulation.
- Walls: When it comes to wall insulation, the cavities should be filled to the brim. The best way to check to see if the cavity is full is to remove a wall outlet and peek behind it. You can also purchase an infrared thermometer to give you an exact temperature at different points along your wall.
- Crawlspace: The areas under your feet need to be well insulated, too. A lack of insulation in the crawlspace can lead to frozen pipes, cold floors and an uncomfortable home. Spray foam insulation is a good option for your crawlspace, as it fills in even the tiniest nooks and crannies.
Consider hiring a professional
Even though you now know how to inspect insulation in Sacramento, CA, it might be worthwhile to hire a pro to perform an inspection instead. Here’s what our team offers:
- Thorough examination: It’s not that we don’t think you’ll do a good job on your insulation inspection—we just know we’ll do a better one! From top to bottom, our insulation examinations are second to none. We use infrared thermometers and other high-end technology to ensure there’s the right amount of insulation all across your home.
- Insulation addition: Many homes turn out to be under-insulated. Luckily, we’re here to help! Whether our customers need fiberglass batts or spray foam insulation, we’re able to add it to their home. Once we’re finished beefing up your insulation, you’re sure to be more comfortable and save a ton of money on your energy bills.
Instead of attempting DIY insulation inspections in Sacramento, CA, just call our team at 5 Star Performance Insulation, Inc. Our in-depth inspections will tell you exactly where you need to add insulation in your home.