Insulation plays a crucial role when it comes to the efficiency and comfort of your home, and the type of insulation you install can make a big difference. There are several different types of insulation in Sacramento, CA that each offer different benefits and levels of performance depending on the specific application. If you’re getting ready to install new insulation in your home or update your existing insulation, it’s important to understand a little bit more about different types and their benefits.
Types of insulation
There are lots of different types of insulation out there. Even if you’re familiar with some of your insulation options, you might be wondering, “What benefits do different types of insulation have?” To answer these questions, it’s a good idea to consider each of your options individually. Here are some different types of insulation in Sacramento, CA, along with their features and benefits:
- Blown-in insulation: Blown-in insulation is a loose insulation that’s made up primarily of recycled newspaper, in addition to some other fibers. This insulation is commonly used to fill cavities in attics and other spaces where other insulation options are difficult or impractical to install. While this type of insulation is a good option for spaces that are difficult to insulate, it also settles and loses some of its effectiveness over time.
- Cellulose insulation: Like blown-in insulation, cellulose insulation is made of recycled paper materials. The fibers that make up cellulose insulation are treated with boric acid to make the insulation fire retardant. Cellulose insulation is most commonly used in new construction, rather than during insulation retrofitting for existing structures.
- Fiberglass insulation: Fiberglass insulation is one of the most popular insulation options for homes. It comes in batts or blankets that can be sized and cut to fit between joists in walls. This type of insulation is ideal for spaces in between walls where square or rectangular batts can fit snugly. While fiberglass can be a very effective insulation option, it must be cut and measured perfectly to prevent gaps and minimize drafts.
- Radiant barriers: Radiant barriers are made from foil materials that are designed to block out heat transfer from outside. This type of insulation is used on the inside of roofs and serves as a supplementary barrier that’s used in addition to other types of insulation.
- Spray foam: Spray foam insulation is applied as a liquid and dries down as a solid. This insulation expands after it’s applied to create a tight barrier between walls and in uninsulated cavities. Spray foam insulation can be a very effective insulator, but it isn’t ideal for every space. This type of insulation is best for unfinished walls or on concrete slabs.
Contact professional insulation contractors
If you’re having a hard time deciding between different types of insulation in Sacramento, CA, reach out to 5 Star Performance Insulation, Inc. We will assess your needs and recommend insulation solutions that offer the best value for your investment. Regardless of the scope or scale of your needs, our team is here to provide you with premier insulation services. Get started with a quote and consultation by giving us a call today.