Owning a home with poor insulation is bad news. Problems with poor insulation include things like higher energy bills, drafty rooms and a generally less-comfortable home. The solution to fixing poor insulation starts with a thermal energy test. Continue reading to learn how to detect poor insulation with thermal imaging in Sacramento, CA.
What is thermal imaging?
Before we dig too deep, it’d be helpful to understand what thermal imaging actually is. Thermal imaging is the process of using infrared cameras to detect temperature differences in a room or within a wall. This technology helps contractors determine the source of air leaks and whether an area has enough insulation.
The benefits of thermal imaging
Using thermal imaging technology to detect under-insulated areas has a number of advantages. These are a few of the top reasons why professionals choose this route over others:
- Locate inadequate insulation: Before thermal imaging was available, insulation contractors would have to perform invasive tests to determine whether the walls, attic and crawlspace were properly insulated. Luckily, that’s a thing of the past. Now, all they need to do is point the camera at a wall and look at the screen. A bluish or purple area on the screen indicates a lack of insulation.
- Find air leaks: Air leaks cause just as much discomfort and energy loss as poor insulation. They also used to be difficult to find before thermal imaging technology came around. Nowadays, a contractor can pinpoint the exact location of the leak and set to work fixing it.
- Identify moisture: Many water leaks happen behind the wall or above the ceiling, where we can’t see them. This is a problem, as all of that water damage rots the insulation and leads to mold growth. Fortunately, thermal imaging for insulation in Sacramento, CA can identify any leaks by showing contractors cooler spots in an area that may indicate a leak.
What should I do if I have poor insulation?
Simply knowing that you have poor insulation is only the first step—you also have to do something to correct it. Take one or both of these actions to fix your insulation issues:
- Add more insulation: Obviously, if your home is under-insulated, a contractor will recommend adding more insulation in specific areas. Not only will this increase your comfort level, but it can also save you hundreds of dollars throughout the year on energy costs. Depending on the results of the test, you may need to add insulation throughout your home.
- Upgrade current insulation: Not all insulation is created equal. If your home currently has poor insulation, you may want to consider upgrading to high-efficiency spray foam insulation. Although it does cost a bit more, spray foam will keep your home more energy efficient and comfortable.
Call our team to address your insulation issues!
When it comes to insulation, nobody beats our professionals at 5 Star Performance Insulation, Inc. Not only do we know how to detect poor insulation with thermal imaging in Sacramento, CA, but we can also correct it! Whether you need insulation in the attic, in the walls or down in the crawlspace, you can count on us to tackle the job.