When your home insulation starts to become ineffective, you’ll likely notice it. The house may become drafty, or you may begin to have sky-high heating and cooling bills. Other possible problems include rodents invading your home and increased allergies due to mold buildup. Of course, it’s best to do whatever you can to avoid these problems before they happen.
So how do you know when it’s time to replace your home insulation in Sacramento, CA? There are a number of factors that could play a role in your home’s particular situation. Here are some of the leading things to look for when it comes to home insulation replacement.
Different types of insulation
Knowing which form of insulation was installed in your home is an important first step. These are the main types of insulation used today:
- Cellulose: This environmentally-friendly choice is very effective at blocking air compared to other insulation materials. It’s also been shown to protect the home more effectively during a fire. However, it’s also made of recycled materials that are liable to degrade as the years go by. Expect that you’ll need to replace this material once every 20 to 30 years. Much of this difference is dependent on the effects of the weather.
- Spray foam: This is a durable and effective form of insulation. It is resistant to mold and tends to stay in place unless it’s physically removed. Best of all, some homeowners never have to replace spray foam insulation. However, if you’ve begun to notice that your home is becoming drafty or you have rodent problems, then it may need to be replaced.
- Fiberglass: This is a popular choice due to its being inexpensive and durable. It may take 80 to 100 years for this insulation to need to be replaced. However, in some instances, insulation may begin to fall from fiberglass batts much sooner, after only 15 to 20 years. If your fiberglass batt insulation was installed more than a decade ago, you may want to have an inspection or audit to check it out.
Regardless of the type of insulation installed in your home, there are other signs that may indicate there’s a problem. This includes any of the following:
- There’s water damage to the roof
- The home is drafty
- Your energy bills are much higher
- There’s mold growing in your insulation
- The insulation has become dusty or dirty
- Your home has been subject to severe weather or a fire
- Your insulation is wet or breaking down
If you have any of these problems, it may be time for a home energy audit.
The next time you’re looking for insulation replacement in Sacramento, CA, turn to the team with more than two decades of experience. 5 Star Performance Insulation, Inc. offers a wide range of insulation services throughout the region. Our team is ready to provide a high-performance insulation system, and we’re sure you’ll be satisfied with what we have to offer.
If you want to learn more or receive a free quote, you can always reach us by calling 916-383-7590, or by checking out our Contact Us page. We look forward to making your home or commercial space more comfortable and energy efficient!