Just about any project involves safety concerns. When it comes to insulation in Sacramento, CA, a few items top the list. Following are a few tips to keep you safe as you work on your next insulation installation:
- Wiring: It is essential to take proper precautions when working around wiring. The risk of electrocution is always present. If you are using staples or knives, take care to avoid wires. Also, avoid placing insulation over wiring. If you are removing foil products, check each foil sheet for electrical current before declaring it safe. If polystyrene is present, don’t allow it to come into contact with any wires. Of course, you should also turn off all power to the area before you begin your project.
- Plumbing: Be aware of pipe locations and take care to handle these areas carefully. Damaging your plumbing while trying to save money through insulating will not be a net gain. As you install, also be sure to add insulation in a manner that allows water to escape if there is a future leak.
- Heating: Don’t install insulation in Sacramento, CA over heat sources, including chimney flues and vents. Maintain a 100mm gap around all these sources. This general rule is the minimum. If a great deal of heat is generated, you may need a larger gap. If unsure, consult a professional.
- Lighting: Don’t try to do this project in the dark. You may have turned off the power, so make sure you have adequate lighting from an alternate source. Head lights are a great solution, as well as work lights with a good insulator.
- Masks: Working with insulation can kick up a lot of dust and stir small particles of materials in the air. Use a dust mask if necessary to keep your breathing clear and safe. Your lungs will thank you, and you’ll finish the job faster without the coughing breaks.
- Time: Don’t rush. We realize you only have so many hours in the day to devote to each project, but it’s essential to take the time to do it right. If you have too much on your plate, simply contact the pros at 5 Star Performance Insulation, Inc. to take care of the job for you.
- Partner: It’s preferable to not do this work alone. Find a partner to dive into this project with you. You can keep an eye on each other to ensure you both stay safe. Plus, you’ll get the job done faster!
- Professional: Even the most skilled DIY-ers occasionally call for reinforcements. For expert insulation installation, this is the best option. If you are unsure of your property’s needs or have any doubts about the safety of your project, don’t hesitate to contact the pros.
Whether or not you can find a friend to help you with your insulation in Sacramento, CA, you can always contact the friendly professionals at 5 Star Performance Insulation, Inc. If you have any questions or would like to receive a free estimate for your insulation project, give us a call. We’ll ensure your insulation is installed safely and properly, for optimal results.