Wall insulation is the unsung hero of our homes. Though we never really see it, it helps keep us comfortable throughout the year and reduces how much we pay on our heating and cooling bills. But did you know that there’s not just one type of wall insulation out there? There are multiple different types of wall insulation, which all have their own advantages and disadvantages. Keep reading to learn more about the different types of wall insulation in Sacramento, CA:
- Fiberglass batts and blankets: Batts and blankets of fiberglass insulation are some of the most common forms of insulation out there. They come in a variety of widths and thicknesses to fit between almost any studs in your home. They boast an R-value of 3 to 4. If you plan on installing this insulation yourself, be sure to cover your hands, arms and legs, as the material is incredibly itchy. Additionally, keep in mind that improper installation can cause the insulation to lose up to 50 percent of its effectiveness.
- Rockwool batts and blankets: Unlike fiberglass, rockwool batts and blankets aren’t itchy to install, but they’re also not as widely available. Rockwool’s R-value is a bit higher, at up to 5, but it’s also slightly more expensive. Rockwool is made of up to 90 percent recycled materials, so it’s a good option for anyone looking to be eco-friendly!
- Cotton batts: Also known as “blue jeans,” cotton batts also come in easy-to-handle rolls that you can install yourself. Cotton batts contain a fire retardant that also deters insects from entering your home. Like rockwool, cotton batts are more expensive than fiberglass but offer the same R-value.
- Spray foam insulation: Open-cell and closed-cell polyurethane spray foam insulation are some of the newest and best forms of insulation on the market (up to an R-value of 6.5). Both forms of insulation effectively stop the movement of air, which means you won’t need to worry about any winter winds penetrating your walls in the winter, and nor will you have to hear those noisy neighbors! The downside of spray foam insulation is that it’s a bit pricy and will require professional installation. However, you fortunately get what you pay for with this effective and reliable product!
Benefits of adding more insulation
Regardless of which type of wall insulation in Sacramento, CA you choose, there are numerous benefits of adding insulation to your walls. Here are a few of the reasons why our customers call us for installation:
- Reduced energy costs: Wall insulation helps keep outside air out while keeping inside air in. That means your heater and air conditioner won’t have to work as hard, which leads to a lower energy bill each month.
- More comfortable home: You shouldn’t have to deal with any drafts if your walls are properly insulated. As long as it’s installed correctly, insulation will block any hot or cold outdoor air from penetrating your walls.
Whether you’re looking at fiberglass blankets or considering spray foam insulation, be sure to talk to us before you get started. At 5 Star Performance Insulation, Inc. we deal with all sorts of wall insulation in Sacramento, CA and can install it at competitive prices. Reach out to us today to learn more!