If you’re in the process of winterizing your home, you might be wondering what the best insulation is for winter in Sacramento, CA. Depending on your individual home, different types of insulation will work better than others. If you’re unsure what might be right for you, call 5 Star Performance Insulation, Inc. for a free estimate and insulation advice. We’re experienced with all types of insulation for both commercial and residential clients.
Here is an overview of what kinds of insulation might work best for you this winter and in the years ahead:
- If your house is old, avoid spray foam: Spray foam insulation can be a boon to many houses, but old ones—older than 50 or 60 years—are often better off with a different kind of insulation. Spray foam can pack the walls tightly, but it also can force the home to retain moisture. Moisture leads to mold and mildew, which in turn leads to an expensive mess. You can use spray foam insulation as “spot treatment” around plumbing and electrical penetrations, however, without worrying too much.
- Keep your roof cold: With frost and ice coating your roof, you actually want to keep it cold. You might have heard that attics are a major source of heat loss—which is true—and excessive water melting can leak into your roof and cause problems. Fiberglass and blown-in cellulose are great for this purpose.
- Don’t neglect the crawl spaces: Crawl spaces under your floors can make everything feel a lot colder—after all, the freezing air is trapped under your feet. Fiberglass batts between the floor joists are a great way to keep the cold air from seeping up into your floor.
- Air seal your drafty areas: Anywhere you find electrical penetrations, doors, chimneys or windows, you have a place where heat can potentially escape. Spray foam can be a great way to spot treat certain drafty areas, whereas weather-stripping and gasket covers can be used to help bolster your existing insulation around doors and electrical penetrations. Caulk and paint can help with drafty baseboards.
- Exterior walls. Insulating your exterior walls is one of the best ways to keep the cold air out. Depending on your specific home, we can advise which type of insulation material will be right for you.
Get more winter insulation tips in Sacramento, CA
Since 1995, 5 Star Performance Insulation, Inc. has proudly served as one of the premier insulation contractors in Sacramento and the surrounding areas. We are a locally owned and operated small business with high standards for both quality work and strong customer service. As full-service insulation contractors, 5 Star Performance Insulation, Inc. is happy to offer a wide range of services to both residential and commercial customers. Those services include spray-in-place soy-based polyurethane foam, closed cell and open cell, all borate stabilized cellulose, spray-in-place, blow-in, drill and fill, dense pack, denim batts and more. Call us today for a free estimate or to schedule a consultation. We look forward to serving you soon!